47 Degrees North suggested comment letter/Email to the City of Cle Elum.
- Email addresses for Cle Elum planning department and elected officials are provided at the bottom, use these to email the letter.
- Don’t forget to put “47 Degrees North Major Amendment” in the subject line of your email or letter and your name and address at the bottom.
City of Cle Elum – Mayor, City Council members, Planning Department,
Re: 47 Degrees North Major Amendment proposal
I am writing to provide the city with my very strong concerns about the Sun Communities 47° North proposal for the Bullfrog flats property. The proposed manufactured home / RV community:
– is not in character with the City of Ce Elum or the upper valley (a fundamental requirement of the current zoning for the property),
– would create a new and separate private tourist resort and not a natural extension of city neighborhoods as originally envisioned/required by city zoning and current approvals,
– is in its entirety a private business not a neighborhood (no lots will be created or sold, all spots will be leased, and the project will be private), wholly owned by a large out-of-state publically traded corporation who’s fiduciary duty is to its shareholders,
– provides no significant benefits to upper valley residents and tax payers, but
– will create serious and significant impacts on roads, police, fire, schools, emergency services, hospitals and other public services that can’t (or won’t) be fully mitigated by the developer, and therefore,
– will create extensive traffic congestion and gridlock conditions and an overall reduction in levels of service of upper county services which will require public expenditures and increased upper county taxes to pay for, essentially a subsidy for a private business,
– Denial of the Sun Communities proposal would not take away or reduce underlying property rights. The original underlying zoning approval would still allow development of this site, just not as a private resort/manufactured home community.
For all of these reasons, and others, I implore the City to DENY this proposed major amendment and retain the current approved land use for the property.
Emailed comments must go to:
You should also copy the Mayor and city councilmembers with your emailed comments at the addresses below:
If you prefer a mailed letter: letters may be mailed to: City of Cle Elum, Attention: Planning Department/47 Degrees North, 119 West First Street, Cle Elum, WA 98922.